The Cloaknet project brings end-to-end encryption to users of irc networks.
In a nutshell:
- Cloaknet is fully transparent, that is to say no
modification is required to either requires no modification to either
IRC client or server in order to use it.
- Cloaknet runs on your local computer or network. Your IRC
client connects to cloaknet which then forwards your connection onto
your normal IRC server.
- Whilst Cloaknet is acting as a proxy between your IRC
cilent and server, it re-writes your messages with a 256bit symmetric
- Cloaknet requires all users intending to communicate
maintain a common/pre-shared key. This key is used to encrypt messages
from your client and they leave and decrypt messages from the server as
- Cloaknet is beta software, but both source code and binaries are available.
- Cloaknet is available in two flavours, .NET for Windows and Python for Linux.
Some clients Cloaknet will work with: mIRC, irssi, Trillian, X-Chat,
Bersirc, KVIrc, Pidgin, Visual IRC, ChatIRC, BitchX, Konversation,
Snak, Ircle, Colloquy
Thanks go out to GovCon and dp.
Shout outs go to the rest of the #gcs clan.